Sunday, April 6, 2014

New Berlin, Pa

April 6th, 2014
                Today we worked at the church site in New Berlin again. It is a very hot day, high of 80 degrees, the sun is out, and there is a nice breeze coming up off the creek just south of the site. We have a tent set up for shade and we have lots of water. I worked on Shovel test pit 5 today which I found lots of large rocks, brick, white ceramics, and glass. My pit had many large rocks so I expanded it another foot to the east,and
 I uncovered a rock about 3inches down that had a hole in it about 3 inches in diameter. The hole had metal lining like it could hold a fence post.
                 Later in the day, while I was digging in STP 5 the wind picked up and blew the tent we had set up over the top of the monument in the center of the property. The tent knocked over the neighbors cable line (oops!). I had only dug down about 6 inches before this happen, but once we got everything cleaned up I could continue digging. At about 9 inches down the soil changed to dark brown instead of light brown like the soil above it. Overall, we accomplished a lot our fist weekend at New Berlin because we found what we believe to be the footer, and I uncovered what could have been a fence around the church.